Ibrahim Ghandour, the Foreign Minister of Sudan, will be in Washington, D.C., this Thursday and Friday to seal the deal on lifting U.S. sanctions on Sudan.
On Thursday, September 14, Sudanese are gathering to protest the visit of one of the architects of genocide that has destroyed their country and millions of lives, and they are sending a message to the Administration and Congress that Sudanese support U.S. sanctions.
They will be delivering this letter to Members of Congress. Amplify the voices of Sudanese on social media using the hashtag #SudaneseGenocidaires.
Based on the requests of the Sudanese delegation outlined in their letter, here are suggested social media postings. Below that is a list of the Members of Congress whom the Sudanese delegation will meet with. Also consider targeting your own Member of Congress, even if they are not on the list.
**Remember to replace “TARGET” with a Member of Congress Twitter handle or tag his/her Facebook page (you must like their page first).
- Lifting sanctions is not needed for humanitarian aid to reach #Darfur #NubaMountains. TARGET don’t embolden #SudaneseGenocidaires
- Lifting sanctions is not needed for Darfuri students to feel safe and attend class without harassment. TARGET don’t embolden #SudaneseGenocidaires
- Lifting sanctions is not needed to address the deadly cholera outbreak in @Darfur. TARGET don’t embolden #SudaneseGenocidaires
- Lifting sanctions lines the pockets of the #Sudan regime. TARGET, don’t embolden #SudaneseGenocidaires
- Lifting sanctions provides the #Sudan regime with resources to target civilians with violence. TARGET don’t embolden #SudaneseGenocidaires
- Don’t lift sanctions and embolden #SudaneseGenocidaires who severely marginalize the Beja of E. Sudan to near extinction TARGET
- Don’t lift sanctions and embolden #SudaneseGenocidaires who build dams to wipe out ancient Nubian civilization in N. Sudan TARGET
Ed Royce (R-CA), Chairman, House Foreign Affairs Committee
Eliot Engel (D-NY), Ranking Member, House Foreign Affairs Committee
Christopher Smith (R-NJ), Chairman, Subcommittee on Africa, Global Health, Global Human Rights, and International Organizations
Karen Bass (D-CA), Ranking Member, Subcommittee on Africa, Global Health, Global Human Rights, and International Organizations Subcommittee
Jim McGovern (D-MA), Co-Chair, Tom Lantos Human Rights Commission
Randy Hultgren (R-IL), Co-Chair, Tom Lantos Human Rights Commission
Michael Capuano (D-MA), Co-Chair, Sudan Caucus
Barbara Lee (D-CA), Co-Chair, Sudan Caucus
Tom Rooney (R-FL), Co-Chair, Sudan Caucus
Bob Corker (R-TN), Chairman, Senate Foreign Relations Committee
Ben Cardin (D-MD), Ranking Member, Senate Foreign Relations Committee
Jeff Flake (R-AZ), Chairman, Subcommittee on Africa and Global Health Policy
Cory Booker (D-NJ), Ranking Member, Subcommittee on Africa and Global Health Policy